Sunday, October 17, 2010

Baking up a storm!

Can I just say "yum?!" Mike was gone this afternoon and I decided to work on some of my "projects". Namely, using or storing the roasted squash I had hanging out in the fridge. A friend of mine gave me a recipe for pumpkin bran muffins which I absolutely ADORE and had yet to find a good recipe for. I also wanted a pie. AND I needed to make dinner. So.. this is the result. : )

Butternut Squash Pie. It looks, tastes and smells like pumpkin! 



I made biscuits and then we had Chicken A La King.

Mike was helping me put away the muffins and looked confounded.

I went and picked some of the green beans out of our garden to use for dinner. They were huge! The top green bean is the huge one, the bottom one is the size I am accustomed to picking. I can't believe how big they got. I've been really enjoying going out to pick a handful of green beans every few days. I will have to plant a bigger patch next year. : ) Anybody have canning jars?



Pumpkin Bran Muffins


This recipe is the best bran muffin recipe I have ever had. We used to buy Krusteaz Bran Muffin mix and they stopped selling it in our store. : ( I think this recipe is going to be my replacement. I am curious to try substituting applesauce and peanut butter for the pumpkin and see how that works out.
Some things I did do, I used wheat bran instead of oat bran. I also used cinnamon and nutmeg instead of the pumpkin pie spice. An alternative would be cloves and ginger. For some added nutritional kick, yogurt would probably substitute well for the milk. 


Oat Bran Muffins
from food.com via Joanna Campbell
1 1/2 cup oat bran 
3/4 packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mashed pumpkin, cooked*
1/2 cup milk
1 egg (or 2 egg whites), beaten
2 Tbls oil
Mix dry ingredients
Mix wet ingredients well then combine with dry ingredients until wet (don't over mix)
Spray or line muffin 12 muffin cups
Fill 3/4 with mixture
Bake at 425 for 20 min.


If you have never used fresh pumpkin or squash, it makes things even better!

Roasting Squash

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice pumpkin (or squash such as butternut) in half, empty the innards. The seeds can be roasted too. Place pumpkin skin side down and bake for at least one hour, until a fork easily pierces the flesh. Remove skin and puree pumpkin. 


Let me know how things turn out, everybody. : )

Oh, and this picture is just for fun. My sister took it.


Hugs!
~Scottie


1 comment:

  1. do we get the recipe for the Butternut Squash Pie? The muffins look good, I'll have to try them out.

    ReplyDelete